Pages

8.29.2012

What I Love | No. 3: Flying

I love flying.


If I'm flying, that means I'm travelling. 

And I love travelling.



I love walking down the jet-way from the terminal and stepping over the threshold into the plane, 
greeting the flight attendant(s), then finding my seat.

I love the mystery of who might be seated near me and solving the puzzle of how to make carry-ons fit.

I love looking at the faces of the people on the flight who have already settled into their seats and thinking 
"for the next [however many] hours, we are in this thing together."
All of our stories, all of our various paths, for this one moment, connected.

Once, when we were walking through first class to our seats in the back, saw Grant Imahara 
and Tory Belleci from MythBusters
They looked awful, like they'd been up all night doing a boring experiment 
that will somehow seem exciting once it gets edited. 
For a couple hours our stories intersected with Grant and Tory's on the flight from MSP to SFO.
I loved that.

I love flying with my kids, seeing their excitement at the prospect of the adventure ahead.


I love Brian Regan's take on flying.
He has such a great sense of humor.
So right on. So funny.
My husband and I love to quote Brian Regan when we are at airports and on planes.




My favorite part of the flight is take off.
When the plane starts to speed down the runway, I like to rest my head against the seat and close my eyes.
As the wheels leave the earth and my stomach jumps a little 
I breathe in deeply, drinking the wonder of air travel.

I love seeing the clouds from the top.
I love the beauty of the clear sky above the clouds below.

Several things on my bucket list have to do with flying.

- I want to fly in a hot air balloon.
- I want to go hang gliding.
- I want to jump from an airplane.

I doubt I'll get a chance to do all those,
but I want to do them because I want to know what it's like to fly.

I got a chance to fly indoors a couple years ago.
I loved it.




Our instructor told me I was a natural.
Yep.
I was made to fly!

No, really.
I think we were made to fly. 

Not our bodies, but our souls.

Soul flying.

"Those who wait on the Lord
will find new strength.
They will fly high
on wings like eagles."
Isaiah 40:31


It takes courage to soul fly.

source
source
source

It takes courage to be yourself.
I think that the only way we can fly is when we are true to ourselves.

One of the things that struck me when I was in my chrysalis, growing my wings,
was that God made me to love to create.

So I signed up for a class to learn to create custom tiles with clay.
Because my mind was on flying, I made tiles of things with wings.




I was creating. Not making anything spectacular except that it was making my soul fly, and that in itself was pretty spectacular.

I used to create, but for many years I had neglected that passion in me. 
I'd forgotten that connecting with the passions put in me was one way my soul was made to fly.

Because connecting with my God-given passions is connecting with the One who created me,
and it is He, really, who makes me fly.

I used to think someone else could make me fly. Should make me fly. 
I was frustrated and angry.

Then I tried to fly by myself, in my own strength. 
I was exhausted and unfulfilled.

Only God makes my soul fly.
It's quite a relief to understand that finally.

I reconnected with God.
Talked to Him, asked for and gave forgiveness, made some changes, changed my focus.
I waited on Him and found new strength.

And now, even in the midst of a bunch of questions and certain trials,
I can fly.

source
To quote Brian Regan:
"If you need me, I'll be up in the clouds."


lollipops
a link up with lollipops

3 comments:

  1. what a beautiful post to look at, I loved it! Popping by from lollipops

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this entire post. I love the excitement and mystery of air travel. of all travel but especially a plane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. We have a daughter who is a flight attendant, and so we fly standby a lot. I love it! When my name is listed on those screens where standbys see if they have a seat, it is kfly. Even my name says I should fly!Your blogpost summed it all up so nicely!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...