Pages

3.22.2013

<< my week in review: 3/15-21

InstaFriday
The weekly post of my Instagram photos and the stories behind them.

Sometimes McDonald's makes everything better.
Like last Friday morning. Sarah had a hard, sad morning.
She was running late, the walking friends left without her, 
and she didn't have time to have breakfast.
Everything was just going horribly wrong for her.
I drove her to school, and on the way, I decided that it would 
be okay if she was tardy. I took her to McDonald's.
We had Egg McMuffins.
And the world was right again.

More Mexican Train over the weekend.
I dominated.
For real this time.

I found out that this place delivers.
So happy.
It's pricey though, so we ordered this one for JD and me, then went
to the grocery store and picked up a cheap take and bake
pepperoni for the kids. 
Is that so wrong?

Sunday was another volleyball tourney.
The girls came from behind to win their semi-final game, in a tie-breaker 
match with Kaitlin serving 10 points in a row. 
Then, in the championship game, the girls came back again, forcing
another tie-breaker match. Again Kaitlin had a great series of serves.
But they came up short.
They did great to place second, but it's still hard to smile for cameras
right after an emotional loss.

Dear Back Porch,
I miss you. 
I can't wait to spend time with you again.

It snowed so heavy on Monday that I decided not to make the 24 mile drive to work.
Fortunately I had brought some things home that I could work on.

Also fortunately, I got to be at home when this truck came to our door.

My before and after pictures.

Before: 
Furnished with all the stray pieces of furniture that we have accumulated over the years from various 
places, I was not very inspired to decorate.

After:
Now I'm super pumped up to decorate.
I wish I could do it all at once, but I'll need some patience as we have a little thing called a budget.
Still, I ran out to Target in a snow storm and picked up shoe racks to make into an end table and a lamp as well as some fun stuff for the mantel.
And for the first time ever, we have a sleeper couch! Now we can help out friends of friends 
who need a place to stay when they go to Mayo Clinic.

Here's a close up of the new ottoman. It's faux furry.
Our feet love it.

I like to be just a little bit different. Eclectic. Rebellious. Whatever.
I didn't want to choose a pattern that I like today but that I would
tire of in less time than the furniture lasted. 
I didn't want to go with a solid color and limit myself to a scheme.
So I went with monochromatic furry.

"I love it," I said as we sat there with our feet up. "It's unique."
"The nice thing about this is that it won't go out of style," my husband
said, "because it was never really in style."
I'm totally okay with that.

I was in Trader Joe's when I got tagged with #widn on Instagram.
(That's What I'm Doing Now, for those who don't speak #hashtag.)
Right at that very moment I was looking for orzo. I couldn't find it 
anywhere. I recruited a nice lady to help me find it. She couldn't find 
it either. Then I found a kind worker man and asked him if they 
had any orzo. As soon as he came, I saw it. Right there 
in front of me.

The very last bag in the store. 

When I got home I looked closer at the instagram picture of the person who tagged me. 
Her #widn picture involved lots of piles of laundry. 
And it really made me feel good, you know, to see someone else's piles of laundry.
Like, I'm not the only one who has piles of laundry. 
I think it has something to do with how misery loves company.
So I thought I'd do a #reallifelaundry hashtag, you know, for anyone who needs company. 
Go ahead and post your own #reallifelaundry pictures. 
Think of it as a ministry opportunity.
And if you think laundry is misery, find some company at #reallifelaundry.

Piles of laundry on my family room floor. Pretty much every day.
Clean laundry gets brought into the family room, and the rule is [supposed to be] that if you are watching
TV, you need to be working on laundry if there's any to be worked on.
It gets sorted according to who's it is. It gets folded. But it only sometimes gets upstairs.

Kaitlin's friend came over to help her make an atom model.
That's what friends are for.

 I'm getting my Easter on for the Spring Party at work.
I strung these eggs into a garland. Such an easy decoration. I promised Sarah that after the party, we'd
use them for an Easter egg hunt. She couldn't wait until then, so I hid three eggs in the living room for
her to find. She was appeased.

Food coloring + vinegar + boiling water = beautiful colors.
But I thought that they looked a little chalky.
For eggs that don't look chalky, rub some oil on them.

That reminds me of a song that my son has just introduced me to:
Rub Some Bacon On It.


I even made some Resurrection Rolls for my old people.
Wow. The lengths I go to.

I'd never made them before and I can tell you this:
I won't make them with crescent rolls if I ever
make them again. Almost all the rolls split open.
I drizzled them with frosting to cover up the holes,
but "Ugh!" Still, the old people loved them.

Resurrection Rolls are empty in the middle, just like the empty tomb. 
They're made by rolling dough around a marshmallow dipped in butter and cinnamon & sugar. 
It's important to get a really, really, really good seal on the dough.
They're still edible, but not as pretty, if you don't.

Look at them. They're party animals. Literally.
We celebrated the first day of spring with a Spring Party. 
I brought my print from the 2006 Easter Egg Roll at the White House to show them. (It's hanging in the
background of this picture.) I told them all about our time there, and the history of the Easter Egg Roll. Then I had them roll their eggs along the tables. It was pretty funny. They didn't know they were playing
for bunny ears. Maybe they wouldn't have tried so hard if they did. 

We were celebrating spring, but this was the weather on the first day/week of spring.
(Please pray for me, that I could experience some warm temps in the near future.)

Those drinks are smoking.

Wednesday I went out with a good friend for some girl time.
I need to do that more often.

Did you know Siri spells with a Minnesota accent?

I laughed when I saw her spelling for "bag."
When I lived in New York, I asked my friend if my
gym clothes made me look like a bag.

"A what?" she asked, completely confused.

"A bag," I said.

Still she looked like she couldn't understand a word I was saying.

"A grocery bag," I said.

"Oh, you mean a baaaaaag. I thought you were saying beg."

Bag / beg / baig.
Same thing.

Working on InstaFriday during my lunch break.
That's how I get it done.

I got my random box exchange package in the mail from Gayle!
JD sent me a text at work telling me it came. 
I couldn't wait to get home to open it.
Stay tuned for a post with all the details.

How was your week?

I'm @annebickle, linking up with @jeanettg for InstaFriday.


6 comments:

  1. I love the furry ottoman. All of my family is from Minnesota. I cannot wait till my girls are big enough to play sports in school. I cannot wait to sit in the bleachers like my parents did. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bacon song is a bit disturbing. But funny.
    I can't wait to see what other changes you make to your living room over time!
    What a fun mom you are to take Sarah out for an Egg McMuffin on the way to school. And totally ok that you bought a different pizza for the kids!
    The suspense is killing me about your random box!
    Have a super weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and the BAIG thing. Too. Funny. I used to get teased all the time about saying "Day-ed" instead of Dad, or the same with bag when I visited my cousins in Florida when I was younger. So, around the time of high school, I decided I would try my hardest to lose the MN accent! Sometimes I'm successful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hilariousness !! Love Mexican train and no, so not wrong to buy good pizza for yourselves : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I declare movie night at YOUR place sometime in the near future...like during March Madness :)

    Siri is hilarious! Being "from" MN I'm prone to saying baig, but (enter school teacher mode) since I taught phonetics and syllabication for so long I realized that baaag is the correct way to say it... :-l

    What a fun party you had at work! They must love you there. I love you here!

    I heard that the weather is supposed to "shoot up to the 30's" this weekend. I had to laugh. We joked at work that it's time to pull out the shorts and sandals. I cannot wait for spring to pop...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your new furniture! Random box exchange package?! That sounds delightfully fun!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...