Pages

9.05.2013

my week in review: 8/30-9/5//2013

 Sharing my camera phone photos, telling the stories behind them. That's what I do. Every Friday.

So, I thought it was time to update my profile picture on social media. My previous profile picture was over a year old. Taking self-portraits (vs. selfies) on a camera phone is hard! I'm not sure that I love it, but whatever.

In other news, I've decided to let my natural curl do what it wants to do naturally. One early morning this week while I was having coffee in my Cuppa Kim Mug Swap mug from Jenny, Sarah said to me, "Mom, your hair looks the same as it's looked for three days."

And I said, "Do you mean to tell me that I've had bed head for three days?!"

We had a good laugh about that. But really... bed head/natural curl... tomAYto/tomAHto.

Speaking of tomatoes...
I'm amazed by the tomatoes and basil and strawberries. I have neglected them, and yet they produce. Also, I didn't realize that strawberries were travelling plants. Eventually that 4 x 4 garden is going to be all strawberries. I didn't plan that, but I don't mind it either.

We went school supply shopping this week. Finally.

[bonus feature:]

Reasons I am glad I have a smart phone: 
#56 I can pull up Sarah's school supply list from the school website when we realize we didn't bring her list with us when we went back to school shopping.
#57 I get to see pictures that my kids take and leave on my camera roll.

Exhibit A.


Exhibit B.

[end bonus feature]

Friday Night Lights. See those cheerleaders there? I never really understood the whole cheerleading thing. (I blame it on the fact that I lived in Germany in high school.) And then, a few years ago, our school got rid of the cheerleading program. Friday nights were not the same without them. Our stands were way too quiet. Quiet stands at a football game are not acceptable. Cheerleaders have an important job to do! I'm so glad they're back. Thank you to all you cheerleaders. And, I am sorry that I ever doubted you. 

We went on a family bike ride over the long weekend.

JD and I rented a tandem bike from Silver Lake Boat & Bike Rental in Rochester. I'd always wanted to ride a tandem bike, just to say I did it. 

Well, "I did it!" 

It was okay. Not hard at all. But the person in back doesn't have control of the pedals, so every time JD would stop pedaling and coast, I'd get annoyed. Not his fault. Just part of the whole tandem experience.

We biked along the paths to where we lived when we first moved to Rochester. I always liked that path, along the river with the view of downtown. 

[bonus feature:]

As we were biking along, tandem-like, I reminisced to JD about the time when I took a walk on that same path back in 2007, just me and God. I sat down on one of the benches and watched the water flow down the river. And as I sat there, I thought of Louis and Clark (we'd just watched a movie about their expedition). It struck me that they had traveled along the river against the current as they explored the new territory. 

I felt like God was telling me that during our time in Rochester, we would be working against the current. We had just moved to Rochester to continue our work in full time ministry with FCA, but in a different role that we'd been in before. At the time I thought, "cool, I'm up for it!" 

Now, as I was riding on the back of a tandem bike past that bench along the river, I thought, "wow, how true that has been!"

I'm ready for a rest. Against the flow is exhausting.

[end bonus feature]

We passed this patch of Black-Eyed-Susans on our bike ride. I had to stop to take a picture. So many in one place. So yellow. So pretty.

A summer time favorite, this old DQ. 

I really have to restrain myself from filling my Instagram feed with pictures of Kitty in baskets and bowls, on top of things and under things and inside of things. However, this picture I couldn't resist. Sometimes she is just too cute.

So I've been reading those books I picked up at the library. All sorts of natural recipes and whatnot. I can't wait to try my hand at soap making. I've been using natural soap bars for a while now and I love Bubbles by Brooks soap, but I was thinking that maybe I could learn how to make my own and that would save me some money.

In one of the books I came across a recipe for homemade sugar wax. As in, hair removal wax. You guys! I got so excited about it that I posted it on IG. This could revolutionize hair removal at our house if it works as well as the author says it does.
It's the little things that excite me.

Sarah wanted to read to me when I went to say goodnight. I love hearing her read. 

side note:
Her bed is the bed I had in high school, in Germany.
Neither of my girls want it,
preferring something more modern and girly,
but I can't bear to part with it.

I think the night before the first day of school is the only night my kids actually want to go to bed early. 

First day of school! 9th grade, 7th grade and 4th grade.

The high schoolers don't find out what supplies they need until they are in their classes, so we couldn't really get John's stuff until the evening of the first day. When all the supplies were pretty much sold out. We found what we needed though, and as we were leaving Target we saw a man wearing this:

I'm not even kidding. It was disturbing and fascinating and hilarious at the same time. We were trying to get pictures of the leggings, but we were walking in opposite directions and none of them turned out very well. I seriously considered going over and asking him if I could get a picture of him his leggings, but John and Kaitlin wouldn't let me.

Instead I googled "muscle leggings" so that I could forever have a reminder of the whole experience on my blog (though I took it off my IG feed, because, idk, it's different). And so that you, dear reader, can have a similar disturbing yet fascinating experience.

You are welcome.

And, I am sorry.



I'm @annebickle on Instagram. Linking up with @jeannettg for InstaFriday.

life rearranged

9 comments:

  1. I love your new profile pic!
    Yes, the strawberries! I planted one plant last year and it came back triple this year. (And I didn't really know it was going to come back at all.) I dug it up and put it in a pot.
    I'm impressed you found all the school supplies you needed this late. Whew!
    That's so cool about your walk in '07. It's neat to be able to look back at a time in your life and see God at work.
    I want to know if the waxing worked! And what kind of paper do you use?
    Maybe Sarah would like your old bed if you painted it a cool color like aqua?
    Those muscle pants are a hoot. I need to see the front. Googling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know about the waxing... whenever I get the courage up to try it...

      Delete
    2. Do it! Do it! ;)
      Also, you're really good with transitions. Speaking of tomatoes...

      Delete
  2. Yes new photo is a success. Strawberries shoot out runners since yours are in the groud they likely root before you notice them, but .... if you wanted to keep your garden small you could place those runners on plates and then when they are big enough cut them off and give them to friends! I was winfering what those yellow flowers were called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to know. Thanks for the tip. When it comes to gardening, I need all the tips I can get!

      Delete
  3. Your new profile picture is so sweet. I have some natural curl also and have given up on the straightner and curling iron lately also. So much easier! Your kids are so cute - hopefully they are not scarred by the man's leggings, my oh my! Too funny...

    I just signed up for a soap making class and hope to learn the craft too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so much easier not to have to straighten curly hair. I want to hear all about your soap making experience!

      Delete
  4. Hi my friend!! :) I love your new picture, it's beautiful!!! (I always loved the old one, too, just so you know! when I first found your blog, I always loved how candid and "in the moment" that picture was) I have kind of curly/wavy hair...it takes an act of Congress to straighten it, and if there's an ounce of humidity in the air, it's a pony tail day for me. I loved the pictures of your and your family riding the bikes!! That looked so fun! And your tomatoes...I'm so jealous ;) I just love your Kitty in the basket. Don't restrain from those pictures!! (Although, I do sometimes think I need to restrain the chicken pictures, ha! LOL) Your daughter reading to you at night is precious. I hope your kids had a great first week at school! Have a wonderful weekend, and I'll see you on IG :) {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I liked that old picture, too, actually. More because it was blurry and it was more of an essence than a picture. But my hair was shorter then and when I saw it now, I kept thinking that's not what I look like anymore. All my kitty pictures from now on are dedicated to you. See you on IG! xoxo

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...