Pages

9.16.2013

Soup's On: Alpine Veggie Soup

I love soup meals.

For one, they're simple. Simple to make, simple to serve.

For two, they're economical. When I was desperate to reduce our grocery bills, I read a book that suggested incorporating a homemade soup meal into the weekly menu for that very reason. Since then I've tried many soup recipes, and this simple soup is one of my favorites.


Alpine Goodness
I got this recipe from my friend Tami. I'm not sure of it's Alpine origin, however it hits the spot like a bowl of hot soup at the end of a full day of Alpine skiing, so it's all good.

When Tami served it, she had me help her make it and I experienced how little effort went into such a flavorful soup. It's my favorite go-to meal when there's no meat in the house and veggies that need to be used. Feel free to substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand. I do.




Alpine Veggie Soup Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 T. butter
  • 1 c. onion, chopped (I don't measure, I just chop up a whole onion. It's easier that way.)
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped (or 2)
  • 1 c. (5 stalks) celery, sliced
  • 6 c. water + 6 cubes chicken bullion (Or use 6 cups chicken broth instead of the water. Whatever gets you 6 cups of chicken-y liquid.)
  • 1 c. carrots, sliced
  • 1 c. potatoes (1-2 potatoes), cubed (sometimes I use sweet potatoes, as in the above photo.)
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. ground black pepper
  • 3/4 t. dill weed
  • 1 T. parsley or cilantro flakes (optional)

Directions:
Melt butter in the bottom of a stock pot. Add onion, garlic and celery. Saute until tender. Add water & bullion and bring to a boil. Add carrots and potatoes. Turn heat down to simmer and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are cooked. Add seasoning. Serves 4-6.

Soup's on!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! So glad you shared the recipe. I love soup, and this time of year I'm ready for new ones to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...