Pages

1.03.2014

my week(s) in review: 12/20/2013-1/2/2014

I forgot to post last week.

Things got pretty crazy with Christmas and crises and such.

It's been a hard couple weeks, but it sure is nice to look back on some of the fun moments:

I went over to my sister's to knit with her and her friends. I need to knit more. It's therapeutic.

[bonus feature:]

Each Christmas Eve my kids get one present to open. The presents are delivered by the elves because Santa is busy. The elves' presents are always new pajamas. I started that little tradition because I wanted to make sure that the kids were in cute pajamas when I took pictures on Christmas morning.

I was sweetly surprised by how much they were looking forward to getting their pajamas from the elves this year, even though they are older now and they know it's me who puts the presents at the front door and rings the doorbell.

[end bonus feature]

The kids pose in their pajamas on Christmas Eve.

They were trying to recreate this photo taken back in 2006.

On Christmas morning I woke up on my own, no kids to wake me up. I enjoyed a couple cups of coffee while waiting for two of my kids to wake up and my other one to come home from doing her paper route with JD. So strange to have to wait for the kids to open presents on Christmas morning. Usually they have to wait for me. I guess that's what happens when they grow up.

Christmas Day game of Skip-Bo.

Kaitlin took some selfies on my phone again. The front facing camera on her iPod doesn't work, so I get loads of Kaitlin on my camera roll. I don't mind.

I was given a gift card and bought myself some curlers. (Does this make me an old woman?) When Kaitlin saw me in them, I told her she could borrow them if she wants because, shoot!, she borrows all my other stuff. She quickly told me that she was "not about the curlers!"

I wanted to get a photo of myself after curling my hair with said curlers, but I was getting frustrated. Kaitlin gave me some expert tips...

Kaitlin's Pro Selfie Advice:
1. Hold camera at an angle.
2. Crop off top of the head.
3. Smirk.
4. Filter excessively.

I think I got it?

Sarah and Kaitlin went over to Oma and Betty's to bake cupcakes and scones with them.

The Cupcake Boss.

I found a new way to display my snowflakes.

The artist trading cards came in the mail. It was fun to see what everyone came up with. I have to say, I am so glad that I decided to participate in this even though I was very nervous about doing it. I don't know why I am so hesitant to jump in and put myself out there in the creative community. But I am always glad when I do.

I agreed to host a slumber party for Sarah and her friends on New Year's Eve. I wanted to have some fun decorations, so I painted a simple message.

And displayed it on our mantel with Kermit the Frog, who was sporting a mustache for the occasion.

I thought it would be fun to have a photo booth, so I cut out the numbers and had Sarah help me place them at just the right height. I thought this silhouette looked cool.

There they are, the little goof balls. They had fun with all the dollar store props.

They played Just Dance, a party favorite.

One of my favorite parts of the evening was when the musicians played songs during the broadcast of the Times Square coverage, the girls would get in a circle and dance. One by one, each girl would go in the middle of the circle and the other girls would cheer her on as she danced. Then they called me into the middle of the circle and cheered for me as I busted a move. I haven't laughed so much on a New Year's Eve in a long time.
John pretty much spent the entire night in the basement avoiding the girls, but I got this rare shot when he emerged to get some food.

Reggie was a pretty good sport about it too. He's such a diva.

life rearranged

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh and smile so much. I love the relationship that you seem to have with your kids. And, what a good sport.. a new years slumber party, how fun are you?! LOVE all of the fun decorations and the photo booth. It looks like they had a great time.
    My parents did the pj's on xmas even when we were little and we now do it with our kids too. And yes, because I love tradition but also need them to be in coordinating jammies for xmas morning photos. ;) Hope you're having a great week this week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...