Pages

2.24.2014

my week in review: 2/14-24//2014

It's been some crazy hectic kind of week and a half...

Way back on February 15 we drove up to the Twin Cities in a snowstorm to meet up with Kaitlin and her volleyball team for their tournament... Except we didn't get there in time to watch them play on Saturday... because snowstorm.

Instead we met up with her team for dinner at Cowboy Jack's. The girl on the right is our daughter that we didn't have.

[bonus feature:]

I was so excited when I saw the mechanical bull at Cowboy Jack's. I don't know how or why, but for some reason riding a mechanical bull got onto my bucket list. I thought I might need to cross the Mason-Dixon line to cross it off my list, but there it was... right here in Minnesota. I was so excited!

No one was riding the bull, so I just admired it from afar. I've never actually seen one ridden, so I was a little bit shy about it. But he and I will have a date one day.

Fair warning.

[end bonus feature]

JD and I were able to enjoy some of my employee benefits on Friday night... a deep hotel discount. Just us.

[censured]

Sunday we spent at Hastings High School watching volleyball all day. From 9:00 am to 7:30 pm. They didn't play that whole time, of course. There was some downtime.

It was a really frustrating day actually because we drove all that way to watch Kaitlin and she hardly got any playing time. Plus the team didn't play very well.

It was nice to be able to spend the day with JD at Hastings High School with lots of waiting between games.

I found a corner on the walking track and took a nap.

What's a tired volleyball mom gonna do?

Oh, hey. Here's a picture of my typical 2014 winter morning commute to work.

Whiteouts are so exciting!

(I'm trying to find the bright side.)

That's my assignment for the week, by the way. To find something to be grateful for in the ordinary moments.

I'm grateful for my girl who still likes to snuggle me when we watch TV.

I'm grateful for the quiet morning moments... with my dog, who lays on the couch next to me, warming my feet... and for my blanket, made for me by my grandma, which I must have over me at all times.

I'm grateful for my long drive to work, which is a great opportunity to experience quiet in the midst of this noisy stage of life.

I was not too grateful when the Blizzard of 2014 knocked out our cable and internet on Thursday evening when I was looking forward to watching the women's figure skating final.

But I was grateful for Jessica, who -- on her own, out of the kindness of her heart and the realization of my desperate plight -- texted me videos of the figure skating event. I mean, really, how sweet is that?!

[bonus feature: Sarah's Edition, written by Sarah herself]

While our cable/internet was down, Sarah asked me "Mom, you're old, what did they do in the olden days when they didn't have TV, computers, i Pads, i Phones, i Pods, and all of that stuff?" Then I replied "We read books, and we used our imagination." Then I could tell that a shiver went down Sarah's back after that. She just was in shock from hearing that a kid did something without it being an electronic device.

[end Sarah's bonus feature]

"I'm bored!" Sarah said because our TV and internet was out.

"Go to the Boredom Box," I said.

And that is how we came to play Sarah's homemade board game.

I love that Boredom Box!

But I do not love taking apart loft beds. 

I had to take it apart though because we were getting carpet in Kaitlin's and Sarah's rooms on Friday and to save money we said that we would move the furniture out of the rooms ourselves. 

I may have lost it just a little bit while taking it apart. Because loft beds are above your head [!]... increasing the degree of difficulty quite a bit [!].

In any case, I got it apart and I got all the furniture stuffed into our room until the carpet was installed the next day.

Except that it wasn't installed the next day. 

Well, the padding was installed but evidently the Blizzard of 2014 affected the delivery of the correct carpet, and we didn't know that until after the padding was laid down.

So we had to wait until Monday to have our correct carpet delivered and installed.

Which meant our bedroom looked like this all weekend:

Pretty much all you can do is laugh at this point.
When you thought it would be just a couple hours
and it ends up being all weekend.

Ha ha ha.
Uh hem.

I had to go to Sarah's basketball game in the clothes that I wore the day before because I couldn't get to my dresser due to all the mattresses and paraphernalia that was in front of it... but... whatever. 

It's all good. I'm grateful. For ordinary moments. And all that.


Sarah is pretty much a basketball sensation as far as I'm concerned.

When Brene said that joy was like twinkle lights... "joyful moments gracefully strung together by trust, gratitude, inspiration & faith" ....I saw these twinkle lights on the page.

This struck me:

"The dark does not destroy the light; it defines it.
It's our fear of the dark that casts our joy into the shadows."
 
- Brene Brown 

Speaking of joy...
One of the things I get so much joy out of is trying to photo-bomb Kaitlin's selfies as often as I can. Which is pretty often, because she's 13 and selfies are, like, what you do when you are 13 in 2014.

And, to round out my weekend, I inventoried Century High School baseball uniforms. Because that's what you do when you are #mrscoach.

I'm @annebickle on Instagram. Linking up with @jeannettg for InstaFriday. Even though it's Monday night. Whatevs.

You should totally comment on this post if you are Kaitlin's friends and reading this. Because if you do I'll buy you a candy bar. For reals.


life rearranged

3 comments:

  1. You have quite a commute! Good job on looking at the glass half full : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What refreshing (at least to us your faithful readers) accounts you give of your extraordinary ordinary moments! I'm Kaitlin's friend.....an Almond Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be Kaitlin's Preschool Minister, so that counts as a friend, right?? I like those Cherry Mash things. :) I'm enjoying getting all caught up on the past several months of your blog, my dear. You are so creative and funny. I've been missing getting to read this. ((hugs)) from Missouri! 3/29/14

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...