Pages

8.06.2014

our McKinney vacation

A good friend is 
someone who lets you (and your three kids) 
come into their home 
- into their everyday life -
and you can call it 
a vacation.

I'm so fortunate to have a good friend like that.

On Wednesday morning the kids and I set off for our McKinney vacation.

"And away we go!
Where we stop, nobody knows."

Not even Siri.

While we were driving along highway 66, 
approaching our destination but with no homes in sight, 
Siri instructed me to park on the side of the highway and walk to our destination.
And we were all like 
"WHAT?! But there's nothing here!"

::

Dear Google Maps Car Driver,

You missed a street.

Love,
Anne

::

After dinner I asked Sawyer what that was on his shirt.
His answer was so silly that I pulled out my camera:

We had a good laugh at our kids' guesses about what that thing on his shirt is.

::

Thursday we just hung around the house.
Well, the kids hung around the house and I hung around Priscilla while she was 
"working her work job" at Little Bird Marketing.
I think there should be and official "Bring a Friend to Work Day."
It's pretty interesting.

[bonus feature:]

It was fascinating for me to see her working her work job
because my background is design and once upon a time
I might have gone the marketing path.

It was also interesting for me, as a manager now, 
to see how she manages people.

Sitting in her office was like sitting in creative heaven.
Sitting in on her meetings was like 
sitting in a cafe in Paris and hearing someone across the room speak English.
They were speaking my language: 
design, branding, layouts, deadlines.
I was drawn to it, 
just like I am drawn to the lone person in the Paris cafe speaking English.

[end bonus feature]

#photobombingKaitlinselfies
I love having a teenage daughter.
I love it when she wants to get me in on her selfies.
If smart phones existed when I was 13, 
I would have been taking selfies all the time.
I admit it.

That said, now that I'm 42 I don't take many selfies.

::

I heard Beck practicing his guitar so I went in to the room and sat down to listen.
It was a sweet moment for me when he played and sang Blackbird.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly

All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see

All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free.
Blackbird fly 

Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.
Blackbird fly 

Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these broken wings and learn to fly

All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

::

side note:
Priscilla has a bird theme going on.
All around her home and office are birds and images of birds.
It was meaningful to me because I also have a bird thing
and a butterfly thing going on.
A learning to fly thing.
So that was cool.
::

Friday we drove to Stockton Lake and took the boat out.

Or, as we Minnesotans say, "the BOH-t."

The first jump!



Priscilla and me.


   
 I do not love this picture of me.
But I like this picture of us.
We were laughing so hard!
Mostly because of this:
Do you know how hard it is to get a picture of four feet simultaneously out of the water?
It's hard!

Friday night a storm blew in and we were able to experience
keeling and tacking 
and sitting on the side of the boat with feet touching the water.

At first we sailing novices were timid when the boat seemed to capsize,
but by Saturday my Sarah was asking to have the boat go sideways.

Except that storm was the only wind all weekend.
Instead of sailing, we swam and suntanned a lot.

I know, right?

 Steve rigged a swing off of the boom.
The kids had fun swinging off of it.
Sometimes successfully.
I had fun watching from a distance.

The McKinneys like to visit the coves on the lake and give each cove a name.
I'm not sure, but I think this particular cove might have been named
Bickles' Boom Swing Cove.
Or Bickles' Boom Boom Cove.
Or Bickles' Fossil Cove.

We explored each of the coves where we anchored.
(And by we, I mean the kids.)

This cove had so many butterflies.
It was beautiful.


 I loved that her kids loved my kids.
And my kids loved them right back.
Nothing better than that.


::

And then it was time to go home.
It was a long, long drive, but totally worth it.

A good friend is 
someone who lets you into their everyday life
and you come home refreshed.

Thanks, Priscilla & Steve.
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the picture album; great photos. It looked like a fun vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a relaxing time - you are blessed to have such good friends. "You were only waiting for this moment to arise." Love.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...