Pages

6.11.2012

Raw Honey and EV Olive Oil. On my face. True Story.


I love the smell of honey in the morning. As I spread it on my face. I never imagined I would ever say that. But that thought goes through my mind every morning as I wash my face with raw honey. 

It's true. Raw honey and extra virgin olive oil are my skin care routine.

I posted the above photo on Instagram. I love looking at those beautiful colors on my bathroom sink. I kind of stumbled onto this skin care routine after I stumbled onto Crunchy Betty. My daughter and her friends wanted to have a spa sleepover and make homemade facials. Google introduced me to Crunchy Betty (who's name is Leslie). Not long after that, I ran out of my facial moisturizer. That stuff can be expensive and my first thought was "I can't afford to get new moisturizer." 

My second thought was 
"I wonder if there is something that I have in my kitchen that I can put on my face." 

I'd read a post that Betty/Leslie had written about extra virgin olive oil. The post itself was discussing how important it is to be sure that you are actually using extra virgin olive oil, because apparently even if it's labelled as such, it might not be. In the post she referenced using it as a facial cleanser. I wasn't looking for a cleanser, but thought it could be a candidate for a facial moisturizer.

I wanted to be sure, though, so I googled "olive oil for skin" and found many websites discussing the benefits of using olive oil on your skin. I thought this website gave the best explanation of why to use olive oil on your skin - besides the fact that it is much cheaper than costly moisturizers. Here's what they say:
"What many consumers don’t realize is something that people living millennia ago in ancient Greece took for granted; that extra virgin olive oil, all by itself, is one of the best beauty secrets. In addition to being a natural, hypoallergenic way to moisturize skin, extra virgin olive oil has the added advantage of providing strong antioxidants, like Vitamins A and E that help repair and renew skin that has been damaged from overexposure to sun, air pollution, and other modern-day environmental hazards – like cigarette smoke and fast food. These antioxidants have the natural ability to stimulate cells and return skin to a firmer, smoother, and healthier state." - Olive Oil Source, Beauty and Olive Oil
With words like 
natural
antioxidant
renew
firm, 
smooth, 
and 
healthy 
how could I not 
be intrigued? 

I, who dawdle in the skin care aisle, drawn in by the promises of anti-aging potions, asked myself,
"Could it be that there is a natural anti-aging moisturizer in my kitchen?"

I was convinced I could use it on my skin, but not quite sure I wanted to put it on my face. So next I googled "olive oil bad for skin" and all the links that came up were pro-olive oil on the face. The most interesting link I found was a conversation thread on acne.org. I figured that if anyone might have issues with olive oil on the face, it would be someone who hangs out on acne.org. Instead there were many comments about how extra virgin olive oil actually helps get rid of acne and blackheads.

That convinced me. Since then I've used extra virgin olive oil on my face. And my legs and arms and every other spot that needs moisturizing.

Now, here's the story of the honey.

O!

The honey!

That's
what I love
smearing on
my face.
It just smells

so

yummy.

After I got used to the idea of putting a kitchen ingredient in my bathroom, I had another idea. I'd seen discussions on the benefits of honey wash and it got me thinking that I could not only moisturize but also cleanse with kitchen ingredients. So I wondered:
What if my entire skin care routine was from my kitchen? 

What entire skin care routine? I was already doing my one step routine: moisturizing.

I do not like washing my face. Never have. Since I don't like cleansing it, as with many things that I don't like to do and won't do if I don't have to, I didn't cleanse my skin.

But  I was carried away in a crunchy frenzy and suddenly I wanted a multi-step skin care routine. From my kitchen! I decided to try the honey face wash idea. I discovered that raw honey also has moisturizing and antibacterial properties that my aging face will benefit from.

I also discovered that I really do like washing my face.

With raw honey.
Because it smells yummy.

And, so, now you know the story behind the photo, and the story behind my skin care routine.


 


1 comment:

mithun said...

Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting. I tried to add your RSS to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully

I can add you and follow.



Moisturizing Facial Cleanser

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...