Pages

10.25.2013

my week in review: 10/18-25//2013

sharing my week in camera phone photos and the stories behind them

Isn't she so cute??!! Look how happy she is. So proud of her beehive and cat's eyes.

Sarah was going to be a cowgirl for Halloween, but then Disney Channel had a little feature on how to look like a biker chick for Halloween. Sarah learned how to do a beehive and cat's eyes. What would we do without Disney Channel? We wouldn't look like biker chicks from the 80's for one thing.

[bonus feature:]

Kaitlin's comment on Instagram for this photo of Sarah: Is she using MY makeup?

My reply: no, mine. And that's really funny coming from you. Where's my tweezers btw?

Kaitlin: Idk, I thread my eyebrows.

Me: you do? You'll have to show me how since I can't find my tweezers.

Jessica's comment on IG: I love these comments. Possibly my future.

Yes, Jessica. There will come a day when you want to put on mascara and you will have to go hunt for it because your daughter borrowed it. And your shoes or shirts or belts, for that matter. Your things will no longer be your own. Heads up.

That. 
And! 

I found out, with the rest of my IG followers, that Kaitlin threads her eyebrows.

"How did you learn to thread your eyebrows," I asked when I got home.

"YouTube," was her reply.

YouTube! 
Doh!

Part of me is sad that YouTube has taken away my motherly makeup bonding time. The other part of me is glad that YouTube knows how to do beauty better than me. Because, honestly, I don't know a thing about applying makeup confidently or what's in style or how to do a fishtail braid. 

I thank God for YouTube's instructional videos. Our makeup bonding looks a little bit different than I imagined. I never thought I would be asking my daughters how to do makeup or hair removal or hair styles and we would bond over them showing me how to do stuff. 

But whatever. It's all good.

[end bonus feature]


Nothing like laundry on a Friday night.

And a little White Collar.
White Collar is in it's 5th season. Which is awesome. Except that we watched the first three seasons on Netflix, so we haven't seen the 4th season. We can't be watching the 5th season without having watched the 4th season. That'd be wrong. So we did the responsible thing and used our Best Buy rewards to purchase the 4th season. Now we are good to go.

This is our not happy face. Saturday was our nephew's fiance's bridal shower. (Our niece-in-law?) We drove all the way from Rochester to White Bear Lake only to discover that we'd forgotten her present at home. Ugh!

When it came time to open gifts, I didn't want her to think I hadn't gotten her anything, so I asked John to do me a favor...
So when she was done opening gifts, I showed her the photo of our gift, an item she'd registered for with additional goodies added. She was a sweetie and was all excited about the picture. But still. I'm a dork. Can't believe I forgot it.

On the way home from the shower I had to turn off the road to get a picture of this.

Now that the weather is getting cooler, we're getting out our winter items. Sarah insisted that Reggie try on a few of the hats. I think he looks happy? Really. He's a good sport.

Monday at work was hard. I cried even. I like my job. I love the people there. But sometimes it's very challenging. The last several weeks have been challenging.

John dyed his hair blackish. The whole football team dyed their hair black on Monday after practice for the playoffs. He's such a dork. Won't take a normal photo with me. I love him so much.

On Tuesday, on my way into work, I was taken by the beauty of the leaves against the cement. They were laying out the reddish carpet for me.

 I love my early birthday present from Andrea. Tuesday night we met with the bride and groom whose wedding I get to help photograph on Friday night.

This stuffed dog is what I grew up snuggling. Now Sarah likes to sleep with it, so I put it in the bag I packed for her sleepover.

So. I got my hair did. Here's the before and after pictures. I feel so awkward taking selfies.
Also, I can never get my hair as straight as they get it at the salon.

Throwback Thursday. Circa 2005 in Kansas City, Missouri. Look at them! So cute. Barely bigger than the pumpkins. Ahh, time flies. Kids grow older.

I grow older.

Oh guess what?!
 It's my birthday. Today! I got woken up with breakfast in bed.

[bonus feature:]

I want to send someone a little present for my birthday.

So here's the deal, write a comment about something that I've written anywhere in my blog that you have appreciated... something that made you laugh... or cry... or just connected with you in some way. On Monday I will randomly pick someone who commented and then let you know on my Facebook page who gets a birthday gift.

Doesn't that sound like fun?

[end bonus feature]

life rearranged

16 comments:

Joanne B said...

Happy Birthday Anne!! I love your instagram Fridays, I like your bonus features. Your blog shows how much you love your family!! Have a great day!!

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday, my friend! I was hoping you'd take time on your day to update for instafriday!
You've convinced me to put a lock on my bedroom door. A deadbolt so I can lock it when I leave!
I hear you on mixed feelings regarding our girls learning things via YouTube. But, it's also fun to learn things together. I'm sure they're still getting plenty from us :)
I love that you got a picture of the gift. What a great idea!
So this wedding is tonight or next Friday? I sure hope not on your birthday!
For not liking selfies, you sure do them well :)
And again with effortlessly transitioning from one pic to the next!
Ok, so to wrap up this long winded comment... A give away on your birthday? Aren't you fun! Well, I'd have to say that it's always so refreshing how real you are. Something I know you were concerned with when we met earlier this year!

Mindy Whipple said...

Happy Birthday and blessings to you! Somewhere I missed exactly where you work but it appears to be a nursing home or assisted living. I have spent a lot of time in both lately with a grandparent in each. I love them and I love the others there but sometimes I cry too... Your recent fundraising post blessed me but it really blessed the ladies who will directly benefit from it - so glad you shared. I also love your bonus features. They never cease to make to smile : )

Oma said...

Happy birthday, Anne. It has been fun for me to read your Friday Week in Reviews because it gives me a good look at my grandchildren's week besides your week too! I always look forward to it. So many things to laugh about; you've got a great sense of humor and can give everyday routines a fresh and delightful perspective. Thanks! I needed that!

Opa said...

It is such a joy to read not only your weekly summaries, but also your thoughts on Tuesday and your five minute flash. Your creativity and nurturing are so evident in all that you write. You are also frank, honest, and real. I wonder where you got your humor gene. I find myself smiling at so much of what you write. There are so many weeks to chose from. I especially like when you reflect on your youth. It tells me what life was like for our family from your point of view. I like your "My Time On Prayer Cards [My European Adventure]". We have had a very rich experience together. Thanks for putting it on the record. Happy Birthday, Anne.

Kelli Samson said...

Happy Birthday! This is my first time visiting your little corner of cyberspace, and I so enjoyed your voice. You are a real, live, mama person like me! Thanks for being so down-to-earth. And please tell me you like White Collar for the cute guy on the left, in addition to the cool storyline and Tiffani Amber Theissen. :)

Bethany said...

Happy Birthday! again! I enjoy visiting your blog to catch a glimpse of your week and to see what you and the kiddos have been up to. I like that you tell it like it is (like the laundry pic this week or desire to be a better cleaner...I can relate). It's fun to see your relationship with your kids, your passions and desires expressed on your blog. Thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

I love the place where God has you know. Where you can share your heart and be God's vessel to reach others. You are my weekly Joyce Meyer providing valuable insight and wisdom. I like that you are able to be real. I loved reading at the end of 2012 about you finding a church that you could feel real without fear. Being in the . Ministry as well, I know how that feels. Not wanting show others that our family has issues for fear of rejection and turning others away from Christ. So we sweep our problems and struggles under a rug to hide from others. I like when you talk about beauty and marriage and makeup and all that girly stuff with your girls. I love the story about fighting to save your marriage. My heart broke for you wishing I could have been there but seeing how God used that situation to make you even closer than you were before. And my favorite recent posting was about Kaitlin's butterfly and the book you read about waiting. "The purpose of our waiting is to let go of ourselves and let God do his work in US. It's hard sometimes to stay in the waiting of transformation. But when we do, God gives us wings to fly." I am so glad God had you in the waiting stages for a time after your moves so he could transform you into the beautiful, open real person you are today. I am still waiting to find my purpose. I miss my Xenia neighbor and wish that we had started on this journey together 10 years ago. Keep up the awesome Inspiring words and sharing of your family life that makes you so real.

Anne Bickle said...

Thanks Joanne! I'm glad you can see how much I love my family through this blog. That means a lot to me. xo

Anne Bickle said...

Thanks Jessica! I appreciate the birthday wishes and also knowing that you think I'm refreshingly real -- even after you met me. :) xoxo

Anne Bickle said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Mindy!... I work in a low income independent living facility for elderly households. I usually like it. But sometimes it's hard.... I'm glad my bonus features make you smile... :)

Anne Bickle said...

Thanks, Kelli! I'm so glad you came to visit me in my corner of cyberspace!

Anne Bickle said...

Thanks Julie. What a gift this comment is, and what a gift you are. We miss you guys all the time. xo

Gwendolyn T said...

Happy belated birthday! I like the new color I think it suits you well. I am curious is that early gift a ring? I love your familys breakfast in bed tradition, it's very unique.

Lucy said...

"I love him so much" me too my son..kids! Yes time flies and we grow older too! I missed the give away but that's okay. You are so kind.
Happy Birthday,friend. God bless your year.

Alyson McMahon said...

Your kids are all so cute. Love the pic of the dog with the hat on. And, what a sweet gift for your niece. What would we do without smart phones to send pictures that way, so quickly? Hope you had the best of birthdays and a great weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...