Pages

11.22.2013

my week in review: 11/15-21//2013

Sharing my week's camera phone photos and the stories behind them.

Last week I gave you a sneak peek of the project I've been working on. And then I wrote all about it in this other post, so I won't repeat myself here.

It was a baby shower gift for our friend from church, Leah, who we have gotten to know because she and her husband work with the youth group. She has a special place in Kaitlin's heart, and therefore my own heart. Friday night was her baby shower.

We walked into the shower and the first thing we saw was a uterus on the wall. Obviously I needed to get a photo. It was a version of Pin the Tail on the Donkey, except we all pinned a sperm on the uterus. Then Leah, blindfolded, pinned her egg on the uterus. The covered sperm got the prize.

Kaitlin was like"EWW!"

And I was like "yep, that's pretty much how it works. Glad we had that mother/daughter talk. Go stand next to the uterus for me so I can get a photo."

Leave it to a bunch of nurses to come up with a baby shower game involving an accurate drawing of a uterus. (I could make a whole list of Signs You Live In Med City, but this one might be my favorite.)

They asked for volunteers for a bottle chugging game and, like a good mom, I volunteered my daughter. She won. She always was good at chugging her bottle.

[bonus feature:]

It's funny how kids have such distinct personalities even as babies. Kaitlin has always been social.

I would get so frustrated with her while trying to nurse her because she would always stop and look around. She would tear away the nursing cover up so that she could see what was going on. If you are trying to be discreet while nursing, having a social baby can be embarrassing.

I was afraid that she wasn't getting enough to eat because she seemed more interested in what was going on out there than eating. I was worried that I wasn't producing enough milk because of it.

Finally I started her on a bottle and formula much earlier than I had originally wanted. And once I could feed her so that she was facing everyone, we were both much happier.

[end bonus feature]

Leah and Kaitlin with the growth chart we made for Leah's baby(ies). I cropped myself out of the photo because I can do stuff like that. Our family all signed the back of the board, with the kids signing it at their current heights.

I decided to pull up the carpet on the stairs.

(Chocolate Lab + practically white carpet) + me = not good

I don't know exactly yet what I'm going to do once the carpet is all up. Paint it? Stain it? Paint and stain it? Put wood flooring down? I don't know. But I do know what I won't be doing: looking at dirty carpet on the stairs.

Last weekend we were treated to a wine tasting at a local winery. It was pretty fun.

At the orthodontist for an initial consultation to find out what the cost of braces will be.

:: moment of stunned silence ::

In the background, a girl kept screaming. The orthodontist tried to assure Kaitlin that it wouldn't be as painful as that. It was pretty funny (for us, not the poor girl).

After my workout, while waiting for JD and Kaitlin to finish up, I enjoyed watching this mom with her baby. Oh, I remember those days. Just barely. Seems so long ago. I sure did enjoy cooing with my little babies.

[bonus feature:]

Sometimes I am afraid to hold babies. Not because I don't like babies, but because I don't want to get Baby Bug Disorder. It's a real condition. Look, see, I copied and pasted this from WebMD*:

BABY BUG DISORDER
Overview: Baby Bug Disorder affects women who have previously decided that they are done having children, but who - for no apparent reason - suddenly want to have another baby. This is different from Surprise Baby Condition, which is not a disorder at all.
Causes: Baby Bug Disorder is usually caused by prolonged holding of a baby who smells like baby shampoo. Extreme cases have been linked to bright eyed babies who smile and coo.
Symptoms: The primary symptoms of Baby Bug Disorder are memory loss and inability to reason, but can also include dawdling in the baby aisles at Target.
Who is at risk? Baby Bug Disorder often affects women with school age children who are beginning to exert their own independence.
Prevention: Suggested methods for preventing Baby Bug Disorder involves memory exercises such as remembering the lack of sleep, the exploding diapers, and the inability to use the bathroom alone. Additionally math exercises, such as counting the number of years that you have not had to change diapers, or counting the number of years that you have been able to tell the kids to get their own breakfast while you are still lying in bed. 
Treatment: Working childcare at a church with a long winded pastor is generally the best treatment for Baby Bug Disorder.
 [end bonus feature]

"I get so tired of people coming into my office and dumping." (I couldn't resist that picture and caption when the maintenance guy left a toilet seat in my office.)

Look what I got in the mail! A little bit of love from the (in)mercy people for helping with their fundraising campaign for Mercy House Kenya.

But. Look at the little widget up there on the left sidebar of my blog. They are far from their goal. Click on the widget if you want to know more or help them out.

I'm @annebickle on Instagram, linking up with @jeannettg for InstaFriday.

*Full disclosure: I made it up.

life rearranged

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, the screaming at the ortho! I had braces and never heard that! My kids still like the idea of getting braces...hopefully they don't hear someone screaming the next time we're there ;)
Oh, and that uterus game? Hilarious! I've got to remember that one if I ever throw another baby shower.
I can't wait to see your finished stairs!
Happy weekend, friend.

Mindy Whipple said...

What a special shower gift. I love how you all signed the back - so special! Your toilet seat had me laughing and I LOVE the picture from (in)mercy and am thrilled for all the help they are receiving.

Mindy said...

Yes, I had some long moments of silence when I found out the cost of braces.....with 4 kids --- 3 more to go, that's a lot of silence. =)

Danavee said...

I think the toilet seat in the chair is hilarious!!!!!!!! And I can't WAIT to see what you do to those stairs!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...