Pages

1.10.2014

my week in review: 1/3-9//2014

It's been cold this week all around the country.

The Polar Vortex and all.

I'm kinda tired of hearing about it. 

Really tired of experiencing it.

Seriously, unless you're looking at a forecast like this, I have no sympathy.

I finished knitting this Century High School colored scarf just in time for this recent deep freeze.

When temps get that cold, the name of the game is: Covering Your Skin.

When temps get that cold and you are a property manager, the name of the game is: Making Sure Your Tenants Have Heat.

[bonus feature:]

On Monday, which was the coldest day of the week, I got a call from a tenant complaining of having no heat in her apartment. I sent the maintenance guy up there to check on her heat and he found her sitting on the floor in front of the fridge with the door to the fridge open. He checked her heat and it was working fine. Later that day she called again to say that she was cold, and when I went to check on her, she had no pants on. Sometimes I think I should write a memoir of my experiences working there. You can't make some of this stuff up.

[end bonus feature]

Although the cold temps were pretty much the story of the week, some other things happened this week:

Sarah was looking over my shoulder while I was reading Jessica's InstaFriday post last week.

Right away Sarah got out her rainbow loom bracelets and wanted a photo too.

JD sent me flowers at work. For no reason except that he loves me.

I love him.

"It's going down, I'm yelling 'timber'..."

I took down the tree this week. And while I was doing it, I had that song running through my head. Top 40 earworms are one of the side effects of having teenagers, I guess.

Sarah and I played Clue on Thursday night.

She was talking incessantly to me about silly stuff and I was getting a little annoyed.

"Sarah, I'm trying to concentrate on this, please be quiet!"

Still, she was at my feet, asking me questions, telling me 4th grade jokes. Ugh. Then I looked at what I was trying to concentrate on, this blog post, and it hit me:

She is way more important than this.

"Sarah, would you like to do something with me, like play a game?"

"Yes!," she replied quickly.

And that is how we came to play Clue on Thursday night. Just two games, that's all she needed to satisfy her thirst for my attention. Playing Clue with Sarah was way more fun than InstaFriday. Not that InstaFriday isn't fun, because it is. I love recollecting the stories of the pictures that I chose to capture with Instagram. But the thing is, I still got this post done. AND I played with Sarah. Bam!

FYI: Never trust a man named Mustard with a knife in the dining room.

I signed up for Brene Brown's eCourse on The Gifts of Imperfection. I'm so excited!

I've never done an eCourse before. And I've never art-journaled. So I'm a little nervous.

I read the book and I know the content is good stuff. It's also stuff that I need to apply to my life. It incorporates art, which is something I've been trying to incorporate back into my life. I need to feed my creative bent. And it is journalling, which is something I stopped doing and need to start again. I journal to process my feelings, and when I stopped journalling, I stopped being in touch with my feelings.

Pretty much this course is a TRIFECTA of things I want to incorporate in my life.

A Facebook friend of mine -- well, actually I don't know her but I've met her, she knew my parents when they lived in Prague -- signed up for it and we are going to Skype with each other as we go through the course. I'm looking forward to that.

Registration is still open if anyone wants to join me.

I'd love for you to join me.


life rearranged

I'm @annebickle on Instagram if you want to follow me there.


4 comments:

Hanna Kerkhof said...

Well…it’s time to get to know each other…the e-course is a perfect opportunity! I am looking forward to it and ‚see' you in the weekend :)
Love Hanna

Jessica said...

Seriously, the weather. I'm also so sick of hearing about it. I mean, as if we don't hear enough about it living in the midwest and all! (This is always a topic of discussion every time I see my mil!)
I think it's so sweet that Sarah was reading my blog over your shoulder! And even better that she wanted a photo with ALL of her bracelets. I can't wait to see her in her suspenders :) Let me know how she attaches them to her pants... we're stuck on that one.
Thank you for admitting that she was annoying you while you were working on this post. My baby tends to annoy me all the time with her incessant talking! I find myself frequently saying, "Please stop talking!" Yikes, that happens way too often. I'm glad that you took the time to play clue with her. I'll take your lead and do that next time she's getting to me.
How do you pronounce your eCourse lady's name? Like Renee? Good for you!

seriouslysassymama.com said...

Umm it is in the 60s right now at my house in Texas. It is going to be in the 70s this Sunday. Love the scarf. OMG I love playing the game Clue. Oh those sweet residents! Have a great weekend!

Mindy Whipple said...

Our daughter always loved playing board games when she was younger and it means so much when adults take the time doesn't it? I can only imagine the stories you have about your tenants - you sound like you have great patience (and a sense of humor) with them. Hope it warms up in your area soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...